Back to school specials - Stuffed theplas

My cousin says she packs breakfast and lunch for her hubby in 30 - 45 min flat.  30 min seems impossible, 45 doable.  I decided this school year I will track my time and manage to pack my son's lunch in 1 hour; This means I will have to postpone coffee though  I will have my hot water + honey + lemon.  I will also spare 15 - 20 minutes to do Pranayama.  So, wake up at 5:30, go go go go, lunch and a breakfast ready by 6.50.  Then sit down to a  steaming cup of coffee. 

One of the first lunches I packed was a roll with sprouts and panner stuffing. The rotis are a variation of the Methi Thepla, I didnt have methi or pottukadalai in sufficient quantity. Thandu Keerai is Amaranth, a very good source of iron and has none of the bitterness of methi.  It's stem is very sturdy and can be made into a sambhar, definitely not something you would add to roti dough.

  1. 1 small bunch of Thandu Keerai Leaves only cleaned and shopped. (previous night)
  2. 1/3 cup pottukadalai, ground to a fine powder
  3. 1/4 cup water
  4. 1 tsp chili powder
  5. 2 cups atta
  6. Salt to taste
  7. Water as kneaded ;)
  8. 2 potatoes
  9. 1 cup sprouts
  10. Panneer made from 1/2 litre milk and 1/4 cup yogurt
  11. Chaat masala
  12. Oil optional
  13. Ghee
Saute the keerai until wilted. Cool.
Mix ingredients 1 .to 6, add water and knead to a soft pliable dough. Add a little oil towards the end to keep dough soft and sorta clean ur hands off the dough.
Divide into 10 balls.
Steam sprouts (with salt to taste) and boil potatoes (I did both together in the pressure cooker).
Cool, salt and mash potatoes.
Roll 6" dia rotis, cook on a medium until spotted brown on brown on both sides.
Apply some ghee, place spoonful of sprouts, potatoes and paneer.  Sprinkle some chaat masala.
Roll and optionally heat on the tava before packing/serving.
Serve with curds, ketchup for the lil one and pickles for the big ones.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kombucha in Chennai!

A Sweet Tart with Chocolate and Pomegranete

Soul Food