Donut holes

My mil gave me some old fashioned butter - actually churned from non-pasteurised milk.  I promptly made it into a pot of ghee when I got home to Chennai.  DH wanted Gulab Jamun made with this Ghee and I graciously obliged.  The Jamuns were gone in a blink, but I was left with a good litre of cardamom flavoured sugar syrup.  And a smaller quantity of heated ghee.  This was the starting point for this months eggless non-baking challenge suggested by Jayanthi of Sizzling Veggies. I had surrendered my cookie cutters to my son's play dough endeavours.  This would have to be donut holes rather than donuts.

I had already made pseudo donuts with the olive oil dough, I wanted to try something totally different for the challenge.  Instead of maida, I decided to go with Urad flour for making the Donut Dough  (say that 10 times, fast! ;)  I was hoping for a Jangiri like feel actually, sadly I fell short.  Next time I will add 1/3 cup sugar to the dough when I knead it.  This was not sweet enough for the kids, it was just fine for the parents.

1 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup luke warm water
1.5 cups urad dal flour
0.25 cups dry milk powder
0.125 - 0.25 cups maida
1 tbspoon ghee or melted butter or olive oil.

Add yeast, salt and sugar to lukewarm water.  Let it get all foamy.
Add the urad flour, milk powder and knead.
Add maida as needed to get a fairly non-sticky dough,
Add butter or ghee and knead all the sticky bits off your fingers.
Let dough rise until doubled.
Roll the dough to a 5mm thickness sheet.
Cut off small circles or ovals with whatever is handy, bottle cap/cookie cutter etc...
Heat ghee/oil
Fry on medium low heat until golden brown.
Either dust with powdered sugar or drop in a warm, thin sugar syrup (the kind for gulab jamun, equal amounts of sugar and water boiled for 5 minutes).
Serve warm.

I deliberately opted to not dip in chocolate sauce.  We have been inundated with desserts of late and I was aiming for a light summer breakfast, pairing donuts with mangoes and grapes.


Donut Holes dipped in sugar syrup

nicely porous center, not dense

Comments

Gayathri Kumar said…
May be they tasted like urad dhal vadas. Looks nice...

Popular posts from this blog

Kombucha in Chennai!

A Sweet Tart with Chocolate and Pomegranete

Soul Food