Yet another carrot muffin

Mich's low fat carrot cake has been calling to me for days (since the day she posted it to be exact). I finally wound up making it yesterday. In muffin form.
Now, the trouble with muffins is, unlike cakes, they look complete when you take them out of their tin. Especially when they come dressed in a paper liner. Lazy bones don't feel the need to exert more effort into making a frosting.
So, I left out the frosting, making it even more low fat,and everyone still loved it!

Ingredients for the Cake from Delia Smith's website

  1. 150 g dark brown soft sugar  (I found the previous cake I made too sweet, so used less than the recommended 175g)
  2. 2 large eggs at room temperature 
  3. 120 ml sunflower oil 
  4. 200 g wholemeal self-raising flour (I used chapathi flour+ 1 teaspoon baking powder)
  5. 1½ level teaspoons bicarbonate of soda 
  6. 3 rounded teaspoons mixed spice (my hubby and my eldest son hate cinnamon and nutmeg, so I used 2 squares of grated  inji mittai, available in most stores here in Tamilnadu)
  7. grated zest 1 orange (I used lemon)
  8. 200 g carrots, peeled and coarsely grated (I hand grated it somewhat thin)
  9. 100 g sultanas(she suggested 175g)
  10. 1 tablespoon orange marmalade (to ensure the cake is not too sweet)
  11. 1 cup milk  ( I found the batter a tad too thick)
Preheat oven to 160 deg C
Sieve the flour and baking powder and baking soda together
Grate the spices into the flour and mix
Add the zest.
Beat the eggs and sugar.  Then add the oil and mix well.
Mix the marmalade into the milk.
Alternately add the flour mix and milk to the eggs, 1/3rd at a time and mix gently.
Line muffin tin with paper liners
Fill 3/4 of the cup
Bake at 160 deg C for 15 - 20 minutes.
I got 18 muffins for this batter.



This is for Cook Like a Star: Delia Smith hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Baby Sumo from Eat your heart out and Mich from Piece of Cake.
I am also posting this to the Bake Fest # 17 hosted by Sayantani of a Homemaker's Diary, started by Varadhini of cook's joy.

Comments

This is a great carrot cake recipe indeed. Glad you liked it. Thanks for taking part in Cook Like A Star.
Baby Sumo said…
I like carrot muffins too, just made some yesterday as well. Thx for joining us in this bloghop. -Yen
Zoe said…
Sorry for my visit as I had to go back to Singapore last minute for personal matters...

Glad that you like this low fat carrot cake recipe. We love this cake too.

Zoe

Popular posts from this blog

Kombucha in Chennai!

The lunch box challenge a.k.a. please gautham's palette

A Sweet Tart with Chocolate and Pomegranete