Danish braided pastry


One of the perks of working in the US is the lovely pastries served for breakfast when you attend morning conferences.  Unhealthy but tasty.  I have always shied away from attempting such things at home after a disastrous pate-choux experience - they were lovely in the oven, all puffed up and golden, but flatened down to a spatula as they cooled!  All that butter and eggs just wasted!

Then I happened upon the Artisan bread in five minutes a day and they had a lovely recipe for a Brioche dough and a lot less butter and egg intensive than the memory of my previous pastry attempt.  Their Danish fruit pastry looked a lot less finicky than attempting the eclair and bought back happy memories of my days in the US.  I modified it a little and got started.

 Brioche Dough

1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 tsp honey
1 tbspoon fresh yeast

100g butter melted
3 eggs lightly beaten
A pinch of salt

2.5 cups maida (APF)

1/2 litre milk made into paneer
4 tbspoon good quality (Blackberry) jam

Dissolve honey and yeast in the water.  Wait for 5 minutes, Mix will get very foamy.

Now mix in the butter, eggs

Stir in the flour with a spoon

Let sit covered lightly for about 2 hours

Refrigerate overnight.

Next morning roll half the dough into a rectangle about 1/8" thick

Mark off middle third off th dough

Smear the paneer and jam along the length of the dough in the middle portion.

Cut off 1/2" intervals in the tow end thirds, criss cross the cut edges over the centre.

Brush with milk, sprinkle sugar

Let rest 20 minutes

Place on a buttered tray and bake at 215 deg C for 20 - 30 min until pastry is golden brown.


I did not have any parchment paper handy, so I proceeded to roll my pastry directly on a well floured counter with predictable results.

The dough stuck a bit in a few places.  I was not able to pick the entire pastry and put it on the baking tree.

I ended up making 5 individual, slightly misshapen pastry instead of 1 big one.

Tasted great though.

I had half the dough still sitting in the fridge and I want to make a new batch of yeasted dough for pizza tomorrow.  So I decided to make a muffin bun.
 I threw in a table spoon of sugar into the remaining dough, 1 tbspoon of raisins and 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder.  I added enough APF to knead the dough so that it didnt stick to my hands much.
I divided the dough into three, rolled each part into a ball, divided the ball into 2, rolled and placed the ball in a 6-muffin tin,  I finally had a 6 muffin-bun to bake.  I brushed the top of each muffin-bun with a little milk and sprinkled granulated sugar.

I rested the dough for about 25 minutes then put it into oven preheated to 215 deg C for about 12 minutes.  Nice
The crumb was lovely.  It just lacked a little sweetness.

I am submitting this to Tangy Mind's An International Celebration  U.S.A round up.  This series was launched by Jagruthi and september's Host is Archana.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kombucha in Chennai!

A Sweet Tart with Chocolate and Pomegranete

Soul Food