4 weeks of zero-repeat lunch boxes


I am on a new quest this month.  Making a different lunch every weekday for my son's lunch box.  No repeats for the entire month.

July 2nd  Rajma, Roti Text book preparation of Phulkas and Rajma.  Both the kids love this.  Ash had it for breakfast lunch and dinner.

July 3rd  Spinach Cabbage Pie

July 4th   Idli+Shallots Sambar

July 5th  Chickpea Burger - made into a Murtabak for the adults, I used the left over pie base for the bread

July 6th  Ragda Patties - recipe from Tarla Dalal.  I used a cheese filling instead of the mint mix.
\
July 9th Pizza - base from French Loaf, sauce and veggies to taste.  Lots of Amul cheese.

July 10th Vada Paav with a Paneer+Sweet Potato vada to increase the protein levels, again base recipe is from Tarla Dalal;  Definitely make the Dry Garlic Chutney she recommends.  We had the regular vada paav for a evening snack.

July 11th  Chinese Fried Rice + Onion Raita - I used a cup of cabbage, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/4 beans, 1/4 frozen peas 4 green chillies, lots of ginger and garlic finely chopped, 1 onion, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp hoisin sauce.  All these vegetables to 2 cups cooked Basmati rice :) Onion raita is a weird side dish, but, I strongly believe in making my son eat some Yogurt everyday.

July 12th Leftover Daal Paratha + Potato Butter Beans Salad with a lemon dressing.

July 13th Pasta with Spring Vegetables and a bearnaise sauce bechamel sauce with onions and cheese (Bearnaise sauce has to be refrigerated, not safe in lunch box).  Ash loved it.  Yet to hear from Gau. "Awesome! Did you make the sauce yourself?"

July 16th was going to be Gobhi paratha. Based on this Guy's recipe I saw on TV. I had the filling all ready and cut open a fresh pack of Atta, it had already spoiled :(  I switched to a Gobhi-Cheese sandwich instead.  Super hit.  He had one for after dinner too :)

July 17th Carrot and Butter beans rice with Onion Mint Raita - Ash loved it, Gau not so much.

July 18th  Roti + Alu Matar , I never said I wouldnt repeat portions of my lunchbox ;)  I also made a thick granola bar for after school snack.  The boys comes home looking utterly exhausted after badminton coaching.  I am hoping the granola bar will pour some life into him. "If you make this (alu+roti) everyday for me priya, I will wipe my plate clean"

July 19th Roti+Paneer,  I had soaked Karamani overnight to make Kaara Kuzhambmu for idli;  I am not sure how much he likes it, so I made him a Paneer Karamani dish.

Karamani Paneer Salad
  1. Paneer from 1/2 litre milk and 1/2 cup  curds,
  2. 1/2 cup karamani cooked but not mushy,
  3.  1/2 onion finely chopped,
  4.  4 cloves garlic,
  5. 1 tsp cumin seed
  6. 1 tsp mustard seeds
  7. 1 tbspoon mint finely chopped,
  8. 1 tbspoon coriander leaves,
  9.  1 tspoon chaat masla,
  10.  1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp oil, salt

Heat oil in wok at medium low, add mustard and cumin, when seeds pop add garlic and onion, cook until softened, add paneer, fry until slightly browned, add karamani, salt, chili powder and continue frying until mix looks homogenous, add the chaat masala and the herbs and mix everything together and take it off the stove.

Reaction:  "  The Phulkas and Paneer were separately very good, but they just didn't go together"
I have to ban Masterchef Australia from my home.  We are letting him record and watch!

June 20th Chili Idli

  1. 4 idlis cut into bite size pieces
  2. 1/2 capsicum finely copped
  3. 1/2 red onion finely chopped
  4. 1 green chili finely chopped
  5. 1 tomato finely chopped
  6. 1 tbspoon sesame oil
  7. 1 tsp soy sauce
  8. 1 tsp chili+garlic sauce
  9. 1 tsp hoisin sauce
  10. 1 tsp ginger+garlic paste, freshly pounded
coriander leaves and sesame seeds to garnish


Heat oil in a wok, add the ginger+garlic and fry until slightly browned
Add capsicus, onions, chili and fry until onion is translucent,
Add the idli pieces and fry until the mix is homogenous
Add the tomato and the sauces, continue frying for 2  - 3 minutes until the tomatoes are soft and the idlis take on a light brownish colour from the sauces.

Take off the stove and garnish if desired.

This was a serendipity dish;  I think julienned carrots, cabbage and peas would have been awesome in this dish.

July 23rd  Rajma Burger

July 24th  Cold Pasta Salad - with Olives, Beetroot, Potato, Cucumber, Rajma (Kidney Beans), onion and garlic in a lemony Yogurt+Mint Sauce.

July 25th  Veggie Burger - a somewhat deconstructed Masal Puri;  I used the mint and sweet chutneys on the bun, made the patty with cooked peas, potatoes, onion, garlic, mint and garam masala.  Used some paneer instead of regular cheese.

July 26th Idliwich - Basically I dropped spicy hashbrowms into the batter before steaming;   Served with tomato chutney and sambhar. baby fell sick so didn't really eat well or have any comments - nasty or nice - for this box.  A mild bout of fever and cold, fully recovered on Sat.

July 30th Puri Chana;  I made a date bar for snack.  I can predict his reaction - too sweet.  Surprisingly, he loved it!  I find the taste of dates overwhelming, I have to redo this with a mix of apricots, dates and figs/raisins.  I had expected the cup of nuts and tablespoon of kahlua i added to magically reduce the sweetness of the dates, but, no go. 

July 31st Roti with a simple Daal and baked potatoes.  I made a lovely carrot muffin for breakfast and he actually liked it!  Had 1 for breakfast, 2 for school snack and 1 for evening snack!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kombucha in Chennai!

The lunch box challenge a.k.a. please gautham's palette

A Sweet Tart with Chocolate and Pomegranete