Oatmeal Muffin

Reducing carbon foot print means buy local as has been reported ad nauseum (though not necessarily, and not always) but what about the actual preparation, storing, washing, wasting etc...?   Where are the guidelines for greening our cooking?  I have decided to draw them up along the way.  Home cooked probably better than store bought.  Electricity is poorly produced (low efficiency in power plants) and poorly transmitted here in this country, but no, I cannot put a figure on the efficiency here as opposed to say Switzerland or Germany.  But the perception of government organization lends credibility to my view.  Better to cook on my LPG gas stove than to bake in my Glen Oven.  Except when?  I don't have the time or inclination to start quantifying this just yet, but one exception would be when I can make enough for 2 days of breakfasts and make something yummy without driving to the bakery and buying it shrink wrapped in a air conditioned room.  I promise my 9 year old a Western breakfast once a week, usually baked items and eggs with juice.  This week I made Heidi's oatmeal muffins with a few changes, I could not find slow cooking oats so I used a combination of Oat Bran and Oats.  I had run out of brown sugar,  I used a combination of honey and regular white sugar.  I used aashirwad Aata instead of pastry flour and all purpose flour.
Crumble topping:
  1. 85g aata/ chapathi flour
  2. 45 g rolled oats
  3. 70 g sugar
  4. pinch of salt
  5. 70 g unsalted butter, melted

Muffin batter:
  1. 100 g rolled oats
  2. 50g oat bran
  3. 150 g flour
  4. 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  5. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  6. 200 g unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan
  7. 50 g sugar
  8. 3 tbspoon honey
  9. 350 ml plain yogurt
  10. 2 large eggs, whisked
Batter of a soft ice cream-ish consistency
 
All puffed up and golden Muffin

The moist interior of the muffin
  • Preheat oven to 175 with fan assist, grease 12 muffin pan
  • Mix together topping ingredients with a fork, shape into  3 -4 patties and put in freezer
  • Combine the dry ingredients for the muffin in  a bowl 
  • Melt butter, cool, add yogurt mix and then add the eggs
  • Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined.  Don't overmix.
  • FIll each muffin cup 3/4th full.
  • Top with a generous amount of topping
  • Bake 20 -25 minutes.
  • Turn onto a rack when cool enough to handle.

Gau had 2, Ash had 1, dad didn't say a word but polished his off, I doubt it was sweet enough for him

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kombucha in Chennai!

The lunch box challenge a.k.a. please gautham's palette

A Sweet Tart with Chocolate and Pomegranete