Stretching Far...

and failing :(

I have talked ad nauseum about my attempts to get my son to eat something nutritious and complete at 6.50 am.

I had succeeded wildly.  Muffins of a wide variety with fruits, and/or vegetables, nuts, lentils (pottukadalai podi) and frequently chocolate.

Now, I can't picture making sweet muffins with greens.  Especially the slightly bitter radish greens.  I decided to try my hand at savoury muffins today.

Yeah I know, who eats greens in the morning?  Radish at that? Thank God there isn't any hyperactive Child Protection Service in India, or he would be whisked away to a home where the mom doesn't make Savoury Green Muffins! 

He is at his most compliant in the mornings, before all the day's injustices start;  The only time he will even consider tasting savoury muffins is first thing in the morning.  Evening he would be mad at me over one thing or another - no iPad time, no chips or ice candy, enforced music practice etc...

Savoury Muffin


1 cup whole wheat flour (Chapathi flour)
1/2 cup roasted gram flour (pottukadalai blitzed in a coffe grinder)
1 tsp baking soda

1.5 cups yogurt (substitute all or a part with ricotta or soft paneer)
2 eggs
1/3 cup cheese grated
1 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/3 cup sliced olives

3 tsp oil
One bunch radish leaves, cleaned and finely chopped radish leaves a bunch of spinach is fine too
4 spring onions, cleaned and chopped, white and green parts
1 tsp jeera

Toasted Pumpkin seeds 1/3 cup (optional, I forgot to dump it in!  I picked pumpkin for the colour)

Heat oil, add the jeera, when it pops add the spring onion and fry until it wilts
Add the radish leaves and fry until it wilts and gives up moisture.  Cool

In an other  bowl mix the flours and baking soda thoroughly

In another bowl beat the yogurt and the eggs together.
 Pour in the flours and mix gently
Add salt, turmeric, chilli powder, cooked greens and mix well.
Fold in the grated cheese.

Pour into a well oiled 6-muffin tin

Bake at 175 deg C for 20 - 25 minutes until puffed up and brown.


I found the muffin to have a great texture, but it needed a bit more fat;  They also puffed out beautifully!

 I halved it and ate it with a pat of butter. Gau reluctantly ate half  a muffin.

Verdict: Adult food, not for kids.and at 7 am?  Torture.  Better served over lunch or dinner.

Submitting this to the Mad Scientists Bake Fest.
Check out Vardhini's Bake Fest Hosting schedule.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kombucha in Chennai!

A Sweet Tart with Chocolate and Pomegranete

Soul Food