Lemon Muffin with Pottukadalai and Avocado
Yet another weekday morning and I had no baked goods for my son's breakfast. I did however have 3 organic lemons, 1 avocado languishing in my fridge from the previous week's organic market and this months eggless baking challenge still pending- lemon coconut bread.
I had no coconut however and no time to buy 1, break and scrape at 7 in the morning with the day's work still ahead of me. I decided to make a healthier muffin with the same core ingredient lemon.
I made a egged version soon after, so I offer recipe for both versions
- 1 cup pottukadalai finely powdered (successfully used previously)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flower
- 1 tsp baking powder
- zest from 3 lemons
- 3 lemons juiced and juice divided
- 1 cup sugar (I didn't try brown sugar, worried it would overpower the lemon taste)
- 1/2 cup butter (recipe called for softened butter, I was in a hurry so I simply melted my butter; no harm done)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup yogurt
1 tspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup ricotta or freshly made paneer
- 1 avocado
- 3 tbspoon sugar
|half filled muffin cup with filling|
|muffins baked in their pans, demolished|
|baked muffin with an excellent top, top of the muffin to you ;)|
- Grind 1 cup popped Bengal gram aka pottukadalai to a fine powder
- Grate the zest of the organic lemons
- Squeeze out all the three lemons
- Make paneer out of 1/2litre milk
- Peel and dice 1 ripe avocado and preserve in 1 tbspoon lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 F or 175 C
Butter each cup of a 12 muffin pan or insert. Parchment cup in each muffin cup.
Beat together the sugar and butter until creamy
Add eggs And milk OR yogurt and beat
Add lemon zest and juice and beat
In another bowl, thoroughly mix the dry ingredients.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined
Blend the ingredients for the filling in a mixer until smooth and creamy
Fill each muffin cup half with batter, then add a tbspoon of the filling on top
Pour about 1 spoon more batter in each cup to cover the filling (Or if you are like me and didn't plan or pour out measured quantities, just swirl the filling into the muffin)
Bake 18 - 25 minutes
The muffins tasted awesome, but the filling taste dominated,not the lemon. I might go in for 4 lemons next time.
I skipped on the icing no time and no chocolate in it.