Vegetarian Spinach Cabbage Pie - Eggless baking

I have been trying no-egg baking along with Gayathri's blog every month.  It is just that either I find the result too dense or not as satisfying as the original or I run into technical problems with managing my laptop/cell phone/ipad.  This month I have decided to post what was a very satisfying pie.  It may be way past the deadline but I would like to preserve the recipe I tried online.
I of course tried to make the pie as healthy as possible, though an article in the NYT is freeing my rather stingy hands when it comes to oil.  I have started carrying my own bottle to Restore and buying cold pressed oils.  The fragrance when I make dosas or adai with this oil makes everyone salivate.  It is pretty good in the base of this pie too. The regular peanut oil cannot hold a candle to it.

I love the taste of sweet corn but I am haunted by the idea of how genetically modified this Monsanto import is.  I have started avoiding this in my kitchen.  I am training my kids to enjoy Bhutta rather than corn on the cob.  I swapped cabbage for the corn in the pie and used a combination of paneer (hot weather = split milk and sour curds = fresh paneer in my home) and amul cheese. I also used whole wheat flour for the base.

Pie Base:
2 cups chapathi flour
Salt to taste
1 tspoon Caraway Seeds
1/4 cup cold pressed organic peanut oil

Filling
1/2 cup onion finely shopped
2 cups cabbage finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1/2 cup chopped methi
2 green chillies finely chopped.
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
salt to taste
2 tbsp peanut oil
1/2 cup cheese of your choice

Mix the pie ingredients and add cold water and mix until the flour comes together.  Let it sit covered for 30 minutes.  Then roll half the dough into a large circle of 3 mm thickness. Wrap it onto the rolling pan and unroll it in a oiled baking pan.  Cut off excess dough.  Refrigerate the base.while the topping gets ready.

Heat oil, add chillies, onion saute until limp then add spinach, methi saute until wilted, add the cabbage and cook covered for 30 - 40 minutes, sauteing once in a while until the cabbage looks almost carmelized.  Add the cheese and cool.  Fill the pie with the topping bake at 350 degree for about 30 minutes.  Cool, slice and serve with a chili-garlic/tabasco sauce on the side.

Comments

kpks said…
Rahi, 38 years, still as nasty as u were at 10! Def no brownies for you. Caramel or otherwise.
charmi said…
It seems delicious. I was searching for baking eggless pie and fortunately ended up at your recipe. Thanks for posting.

Popular posts from this blog

Kombucha in Chennai!

The lunch box challenge a.k.a. please gautham's palette

A Sweet Tart with Chocolate and Pomegranete